Kinky Hair 101: Travelling with natural hair



Hey guys. I'm still trying to get over the fact that we are almost at the end of November, and in the blink of an eye, 2012 will be over. Here's wishing everyone a happy and productive last few weeks of the year!

With all that's been going on, and not really having an opportunity to post much, I haven't totally forgotten that this is meant to be an informative blog and it has been a while since you've had a “Kinky Hair 101” post. I have a few drafted up, and figured now is as good a time as any to get them tidied up and on the blog.

Before I launch into anything very detailed, I thought I would start with this very quick one since I recently got asked a question about it, and it's also quite relevant to my current situation. I've mentioned I spend a lot of time on planes due to the work I do, and have been doing so more than usual recently. So I thought it would let you in on my natural hair travel trips.

1/ As I discovered the hard way, dry cabin air can leave your tresses feeling like wire wool, particularly after a long-haul flight. To counteract this, I normally try and squeeze in a deep conditioning session a day or 2 before I'm due to hop on a plane. I also try and schedule it so my hair will be mostly dry before the flight, as I hate flying with wet hair. 

2/ For the same reason, I never, ever travel with loose hair. For me, the ideal is to travel in twists that I plan to keep in for the duration of the trip, chunky twists that I can twist-out when I land, or if my hair was already in an "out" style before the trip because I didn't have time for a wash/DC session, I make sure to moisturise profusely, seal the tips adequately, and tuck away in a bun or similar updo. I tend to accessorise all of the above with a silk or satin scarf (also prevents your hair rubbing against the plane seat when you sleep). The first and last time I flew with a loose twist-out, I vowed never to do it again: my hair was embarrassingly brittle for days afterwards.


A typical travel style for me
3/ I try and prevent having to spend too much (or in fact, any) time doing my hair while I'm on a trip, so I try and pick low-maintenance or transitional styles. Twists for the duration of the trip are ideal, as I mentioned. Transitional styles such as twists for the first couple of days, followed by a twistout, and then a bun or updo for the last few days and journey back are also a good option. If I'm going on a short trip, I try and avoid things like braid-outs, where I'd need to spend time every night re-braiding to re-set the curl definition, or wash and go's (a rarity for me anyway) where I'd have to rewash or rewet my hair often.

4/ I don't like lugging an arsenal of products as I like to keep my luggage quite light. So I tend to select products that can serve multiple functions so I can get away with packing 1 bottle in place of 3 or 4. I find the Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner works well as I can use it as a daily moisturiser, but if I ever find myself having to wash my hair, it also works well as a cowash and as a rinse out conditioner (similar multi-purpose conditioners are ones like the Giovanni Smooth As Silk, and Tresemme Naturals, and I decant whatever conditioner I choose into smaller bottles before I travel). I also always take an oil that can be used as a sealant AND a scalp oil, so I don't have to pack both separately. My travel oil of choice tends to be Castor. 

So there you have it. Short and sweet, but absolutely essential for me if I don't want to spend several days afterwards trying to get the moisture back into my hair and knots out of it.

2 comments

  1. Everytime you do this scarf style, I lean into my screen to see exactly how you did it. Lol.

    At first I thought there was hair inside that front tucked section, but now that I'm staring at it (again), it looks like you rolled the ends of the scarf into the part that goes around your head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah that's pretty much what I did. I basically watched a CharyJay video tutorial, then halfway through thought "I just can't be bothered to continue", and the result was what you see here. I'll try and find the tutorial for you.

      Delete