Happy birthday to us!


Five years ago today I organised the first ever Kinky Apothecary event, having decided to channel my burgeoning hobby as a natural hair obsessive into something a little bit more structured. The beginning almost seems like just yesterday. I am not entirely sure what my ultimate plans were when I first started.
I do remember thinking "as long as I make enough money to cover all the hair products my mum and I need, I'll be happy". When I planned that first 40 person workshop, did I know that 5 years later I would be on the home straight of the biggest event I have ever organised? I'm not sure.

All I know is that I am extremely happy I allowed myself to be guided into doing something that has touched many people's hair ... if not quite their lives. There are people I've met along the way, solely as a result of this little project, who have become like family. I have learned more in these last 5 years than through any of my formal education: the triumphs and mistakes as valuable as each other.

I'm so grateful and overwhelmed by the support I have received from friends and family over the past 5 years. A huge thank you especially to all our loyal customers - from the ones who attended our very first event, to the ones who only just heard about us this morning - you have kept us going all this time. There is absolutely no way we would have made it to this point without you.

Here's to many more years!

- Nibi

PS: I am going to spend the rest of the month taking a trip down memory lane via this blog. If you'd like to join me, here's the first flashback: I wrote about the very first Champagne, Cupcakes and Curltalk which took place exactly 5 years ago here and here. (Clearly I still wasn't that familiar with the modalities of blogspot!)

No comments