Growth & length retention...a recap!


One random day last month, it suddenly clicked that it had been 2 years (almost to the day) since my last relatively major chop. I'd noticed growth along the way so decided it would be interesting to do a side by side comparison photo.



I went to post the picture on Instagram, but stopped before pressing send, bracing myself for the inevitable question ... what did I do to grow my hair?

So to pre-empt this, and because you haven't heard from me in a little while, I thought why not do a blog post on it.

First of all, let's take a little trip down memory lane to this post I wrote a few years ago on growth and length retention, shall we? 

I've re-read, and as far as information goes, I still think it's pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.

However, it is rather long. So for anyone who doesn't really have time to read through right now, here's the 2016 summary for growing your hair:

Protective styling was key for me. As were low manipulation, regular trims, moisture, patience, tender loving care and a sprinkling of genetics. 

No miracle growth products ... although good products with natural, healthy ingredients go a long way in maintaining a clean, healthy scalp and helping with the moisture/protein balance and therefore length retention (for some of my favourites, click here). 

It's also worth noting another factor that contributed to my retention: I had adopted healthy haircare practices well before the cut and my hair was doing great at the time, I just felt like a change. 

Finally there is a lesson to be learnt here for everyone who hyperventilated at the idea of me chopping off valuable inches for no reason whatsoever: have fun with your hair! As long as you're kind to it, it will grow back.

So now question and answer time. What issues have you encountered in your hair growth journey, and which of the factors mentioned above do you think might be missing from your current regimen? Comment below, and I will try and give as detailed answers as possible.

Also don't forget you can meet me (and a host of hair experts) for one-on-one consultations at the Nigerian Natural Hair & Beauty Show on November 19th. Just had to throw that in there!

Have a good one!


6 comments

  1. Great growth! Well done!
    I did a length check last night and yep, I'm still where I was 2 years ago.
    Spent enough time on this plateau, I have to move forward.
    Taking your good advice & going to get ready for a stretch of protective styling.
    Let's see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! I like how you emphasized your techniques and practices as contributions to your growth. Many people think that a miracle product will grow your hair.

    I look forward to attending NNHB16. I couldn't make it last year so I'm all geared up for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thank you for sharing this information. I think my biggest hurdles are: moisturizing -incorrect technique and low frequency; and damage inflicted by stylists when I try to do protective styling.
    I recently figured out the moisturizing part its just a bit difficult as the everyday frequency messes with my style (not sleek, shrinkage, puffy) and I'm in a business environment where I prefer my hair to look different (at least at work). So I'm trying to figure out some go to styles and may just re-moisturize night before vs morning of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, nice write up. It's been three years since my big chop. And you would think that I should have made progress. Well unfortunately, I haven't. My hair can't even be held in a reasonable bun, that's how short it still is. I have started moisturizing and making protective styles but each time I go to make my hair, most of my hair fall of. Like fall off in chumps. I don't know what to do. I know we don't really have good hair in my family, but with the little care I manage to give to the hair, I still don't get any improvements. Maybe I'll work more on the factors you listed. But for now, any advice on the issue of massive chumps of hair falling off? Thanks

    ReplyDelete