Hello 2015! Here’s a flashback to 2014 at The Kinky Apothecary.



Since we’re almost at the end of January 2015, this seems like the perfect time for my procrastinating self to wish all our customers, readers and Kinky Apothecary family a very Happy New Year, and all the best for 2015!

So I was absolutely horrible at posting on the blog last year. There has been a phenomenal amount of growth and change at Kinky Towers over the last 14 months or so, and in that time, blogging unfortunately fell pretty low on our ladder of priorities.

However, I’m sure most of you would have noticed by now that The Kinky Apothecary has had an Instagram account for a little over a year, on which I personally am very active and have managed to document all the important highlights of 2014. 

So for those of you who for some reason are still not following us, or who might have only just started towards the end of the year, or for anyone who just wants a recap, here is what (according to Instagram) has been going on in the world of The Kinky Apothecary … and most important of all, my hair!

We kicked off 2014 with me trying my hand out at erm, "modelling" for an as yet unnamed campaign that is as yet unpublished... but launching soon. Yes. Cryptic. But we had a blast working with photographer Reze Bonna, Aderonke Adebanjo, Lola Maja and Odun Ogunbiyi as our creative director.



In February I was invited to onto the set of Moments with Mo with Dami of Neriah Naturals and Dabs of Naija Hair Can Grow, to talk about natural hair. Spreading the healthy hair message, and defending the natural hair corner (where the need arises) are matters that are very close to my heart, so it was great to get the invitation. Presenters Dolapo Oni and Bolanle Olukanni really made us feel at home too. Great times!

Also in February, Ngozi Opara, the creator of the Heat Free Hair movement reached out to me to let me know she would be in Lagos. I think her company idea is phenomenal, and I'd always admired her as a business woman (especially a Nigerian business woman), so I was really pleased to discover she was just as lovely in person as I had hoped. Her visit happened to coincide with Social Media Week, where I was speaking on two panels: the first was organised by Ore Somolu-Lesi of the Women's Technology Empowerment Centre. The second was specifically focused on natural hair, and so when I mentioned to the organiser, Kathleen Ndongmo of Natural Ever After, that Ngozi was in town, she leapt at the opportunity to bring her onto the panel, and what was originally intended to be a discussion on how naturals have been able to expand their reach and connect with others globally through social media quickly turned into a natural hair seminar with the panelists fielding hair-related questions and offering tips and advice. 


In March, I jumped at Felicia Leatherwood's invitation to meet her at the Natural Hair Academy in Paris, which was a real experience where I got to meet some amazing people, such as Eva Obasuyi and Rene Daniella, the beauties and brains behind DieseMag and Own By Femme! If you're in Paris this March, get a ticket!!!


We also set the wheels in motion for Felicia's next trip to Lagos. Announcement coming up soon...

In April, we were focused on our next steps, so decided a protective style would be the best way to free up some time. Back came the marley twists! 


More networking in May, first at the Woman In The Jungle Show in London
Wunmi, founder of Woman In The Jungle
Where I got a chance to see Miss (now Mrs and Mummy) Fizzy from Leave In The Kinks again!


And then at Curlvolution, also in London, where in between the workshops and shopping, I had the chance to witness this excellent panel of speakers: Felicia Leatherwood, Taren Guy, Natural Belle, Deborah Blake of Curlformers, and Emma Dabiri, aka The Diaspora Diva, who took the hair conversation well beyond the usual issues of styling.


During the course of the month, we also added a bunch of new brands to our range, including Obia Natural Haircare, SheaMoisture, Karen's Body Beautiful and Namaste Organics. We also expanded the existing ranges we carry, adding more products. Apparently you love them, and we're not surprised!


Also in May, Berry Dakara and a bunch of other Instagrammers kicked off the #31daysofkinkz challenge: everyone had to post a different hair style a day for 31 days. Of course I crashed and burned after day 5, but here were a couple of my favourites:



June saw my return to TV after receiving an invitation from Spice TV to appear on Style 101.
On Style 101 with Hauwa Mukan of HRM sneakers, Pepper Chikezie of Retrospective and host Tallulah Doherty


By this point, Lagos humidity had started to get out of control and drive me nuts, turning a braidout from this:


To this, in a matter of minutes:


In June, I also got invited onto NdaniTV to film an episode of Beauty Beats which you can watch here! 


I made a final attempt at a braidout before the humidity got too much for me. This combo of CURLS milkshake and Obia Naturals Curl Enhancing Custard held up quite well:


But I gave up the charade pretty soon after, and went into my next protective style: waist-length box braids!


June also saw us participate at Naija Hair Can Grow's Salon Day Out, and Nigeria's first Loc Appreciation Day organised by Locitude!

Our stand at Naija Hair Can Grow's salon day out

Ade Balogun of Locitude and organiser of Loc Appreciation Day, with host Bassey Ikpi 

Also in June (yeah, busy month!) we launched two more concessions on the Lagos mainland!

Sacred Beauty. Maryland home of The Kinky Apothecary
In July, I got a chance to act as Creative Director for the day, when Pride Magazine allowed us to take over their beauty pages with a natural hair special. It was a real challenge, but loads of fun, and I can't wait to see the finished product!





As part of the shoot, I also got to style actor Najite Dede's locs


In August, I got a little bit of time off, and while in the States on holiday, got the chance to go for what is now becoming my annual mini-chop. I generally keep my hair long, but find it easiest to manage when it is somewhere between APL and BSL, and no longer.

Also while in NYC, I happened to run into Ijeoma of Klassy Kinks, who we had an event with in December 2013!


Stay tuned, we've got something else in the works...

We spent September fine-tuning things in-house and preparing for what was going to turn out to be an extremely active final quarter of the year. I also spent it totally enjoying my new hair shape!

October was when it all kicked off for us again! First of all, we joined the Freedom Park family, where we set up a temporary home for Felabration


And debuted our new pink stand!


That weekend, Locitude organised a loc styling workshop and styling competition. It was amazing to see the creativity that went into coming up with looks doing the styling competition, in such a short space of time, and we were so happy to sponsor the winner, Olisah of Me & You salon, on an all-expenses paid trip to Dubai!


In October, we also held two bootcamps over one weekend at our two mainland concessions. Our bootcamps started a couple of years ago as a way of providing a intimate setting (of not more than 30 people) for people to ask one-on-one questions and tackle their hair issues. We decided to bring them back to get to know our mainland customers, introduce you to the concessions and give you the chance to have any burning questions answered.



In October, we were also very busy preparing gift packages for two of our favourite designers: Maki Oh and Grey at Lagos Fashion and Design Week, where we brought back our favourite product: The Kinky Apothecary Whipped Batter


In November, we took part in Lost In Lagos Live. It was great to meet customers old and new, as well as all the other vendors!



And finally, December! We kicked off the month at the block party which marked the beginning of Big60 at A Whitespace Lagos


And ended with our one-day Pop Up Salon- still part of Big60 at A Whitespace, Lagos


With a bunch of people getting involved, such as Sacred Beauty, Grey & Cointreau, I can't think of a better way to have ended the year! A full write-up is coming soon, but for now, you'll just have to be content with a photo of my last hairstyle of last year- a loose twist updo- as I took a few minutes off from proceedings for my last interview of the year, with Spice TV again.


It was our busiest year yet, but an extremely rewarding one, and I am so excited for what we have planned for 2015! Incidentally, our 5th anniversary will be coming up during the course of the year, so keep your eyes peeled for some major announcements and changes, all of which are going to come in quick succession! You are not going to want to miss a thing…


Nibi xx

6 comments

  1. That was one great year. Happy to have been part of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was great to have met you during the course of the year! Look forward to some awesome collabos in 2015!

      Delete
  2. Omg! What a crazy awesome year... so mad I missed everything *sad face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't miss everything, you were one of the highlights! Hopefully see you more this year!

      Delete
  3. Your journey is very inspiring!!! I am so inspired!

    ReplyDelete