Kinky Hair 101: Protective and low-manipulation styling


Source
Most people reading this will already familiar with the concept of protective styling, what it entails and how you can benefit from it, but I feel it is my Corporate Social Responsibility to carry on with all the basics for any newbies who might happen to stumble across this blog. Hi there! *waves*


Anyway, I mentioned in one of my last few posts that I have benefited from not doing much with my hair recently. Time constraints have meant that I have not really had a chance to fuss with it much. I wash every 7-10 days as usual (sometimes stretching to 14 days). I then put them in fat twists, which I wear for a couple of days pinned up.
If I'm going anywhere where I need to look slightly decent, I distract with a nice scarf or other accessory.
When the weekend rolls around, I either undo and braid for a braidout, as illustrated in previous post, or undo and re-twist with product for a twistout, allow it to set at least overnight and then wear the twist/braidout for a couple of days until humidity has completely taken its toll. Then I put it in some sort of updo, like a bun or flat twists, for a couple of days until the next wash day rolls around.


Why have I benefited from this?
Essentially, what I have been doing is protective or low-manipulation styling. Most naturals with tighter, kinkier textures tend to benefit from leaving their hair alone. And the ones who have managed any significant amount of length retention tend to be in protective styles about 99% of the time. (Yes, I just employed a knack I have for pulling statistics out of thin air, but for example, check out Cipriana from Urban Bush Babes, or Mwedzi on Youtube)

This is because kinky hair is so fragile, that every time it is handled is an opportunity to damage it. Our hair therefore tends to thrive if put away, as you are preventing it rubbing on clothing or other articles. It is particularly helpful if your ends are tucked away as this helps minimize splits and knots, which would eventually need to be chopped out of your hair. 


Forms of low-manipulation or protective styling
As I mentioned, updos and buns are protective styles as they keep your ends tucked away and free from damage. Strictly speaking, twists on long hair are not strictly "protective" if worn down and allowed to rub on your clothing, however you do benefit from the fact that once the twists are in, you will not have to keep re-doing your hair and risk over-manipulation. 

Twistouts and braidouts even when worn loose are, in my opinion semi-protective styles, because from stretching your hair by twisting and braiding, you are minimizing tangles and also locking in moisture (which travels much more easily down a stretched strand of hair than a tightly coiled one), reducing possible breakage. (Although watch out for shrinkage in this humidity!)

For ideas on protective styling, look back at this post on youtube links. And take some time out to look through other videos for tutorials.


Protective styling may not suit everyone
As with everything, not all rules apply 100%. Some people, particularly those with looser curls, may not find protective styling necessary, and can wash and go to their hearts content. 

Others may have tightly curled hair, but for them retaining length is not a priority, and this is fine. 

I was much more strict about protective styling when I first embarked on this healthy hair journey, but have recently been far more relaxed about my hair in general. Sometime last year, I reached the conclusion that there is no point having all this hair if I can't show it off once in a while. So if I have time to play with my hair, I do tend to wear it out more often (my recent protective styling frenzy has, as I mentioned, mainly been for convenience). 

However I was very aware that this would be to the detriment of my length retention, and I definitely weathered a lot more damage than usual last year and had to trim more often, but I was o.k. with that. I draw the line at frequent wash and go's, however. 

So whether you protective style or not is your choice: it is just important to be aware of the trade-off, for most people, between wearing your hair out all the time and growing your hair long.


A couple of important things to think about when protective styling
1/ Again, I repeat: no two things work exactly the same for 2 people. So watch Youtube tutorials to get ideas, but at the end of the day, you have to figure out a routine that best suits YOU. For e.g. some people leave their twists in for up to 6 weeks. I have never dared to attempt going more than 3! 
Another example: when I began attempting protective styles, I would watch people with a looser texture on Youtube bun their hair wet, and I would try and mimic it. This didn't work well at all for my texture, and I have since found that for me, it is best to bun my hair when it is in twists, or when it is already stretched, e.g. an old twistout.
2/ As I mentioned in my braids post, there is no point in doing a protective style if any process of that style causes damage to your hair. For e.g. there is no point in blowdrying if you’re breaking it along the way, not moisturizing while it is in the style, or leaving the style in so long that your hair will knot, tangle and break as you’re taking it out.
Incidentally, Miss Fizz from Leave In The Kinks (protective styler extraordinaire) just did this post with notes on protective styling. Make sure to check it out.


Until next time!

7 comments

  1. Interesting! Just wondering, in what way did you find wet-bunning didn't work for your hair? I ask because my hair is on the kinkier end of the spectrum but likes wet bunning (but this may be because my strands are fine)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi clc! Well, first of all it was almost impossible to get my wet loose hair into any kind of ponytail holder (although I have since discovered that this is a lot easier if you do it under running water, for anyone who is interested) so I would end up with a puffy mini fro and a tiny bun on the end. Lol. Also the wet bun would mean that my hair wouldn't be stretched out enough, if that makes sense. So when I took it down I always had tangles, and my hair wouldn't be adequately moisturised, especially in the middle. Also I would have to completely re-wet if I wanted to restyle, as my hair would dry in the bun shape.

      Delete
    2. Ah, interesting. I thought maybe it was because you were concerned about breakage because of the tension from stretching wet hair over an extended period of time. I guess my frame of reference is skewed because I have fine hair and wet bunning leaves me with what is essentially a blow out even though my hair is 4b! I worry that wearing wet buns too frequently will increase breakage even (I'm too lazy to do anything elaborate with my hair and have compromised by braiding my hair into one "calabar" and roll it up and tuck it into itself so it looks like a bun instead of using a ponytail holder). But your hair is waaaay thicker than mine so I guess you don't have that problem :)

      Delete
    3. Hehe- if only I could braid my hair into one. Even the 4 that I wash with is a struggle! Anyway, I guess it further drives home my point, we all have to figure out what works best for us.

      Delete
  2. Hi kinky , this is a very comprehensive no nonsense guide to low manip styling, over the years I've learnt from you and others that it's just one of the best ways to get decent length retention. No way two ways about it. Just glad this is an acceptable truth about kinky hair, a lot of tutorials don't come clean about this lol, love high buns as a protective style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi itsblogtastic, I too have started to get into the whole high bun thing. I love that there are so many ways to do them, and also so many ways to accessorise them.

      Delete
  3. Nice article. Very informative and detailed. Thanks for posting this. Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete