Update: Current hair situation!


Hi all,

Just thought I should give a quick update on what's going on with my hair.

I've been in loose twists since December. Loose twists have been in my styling arsenal since some time in 2012 when Miss (now Mrs) Fizzy introduced me to them.


I prefer them to regular twists as they are much quicker to put in and take out (you only twist the roots and the ends), and they yield a fullness and stretch you don't get from regular twists, making them more versatile and allowing you to style as if your hair wasn't twisted (I've pretty much had a different updo every day for the past two months).

Every two weeks, I shampoo and deep condition my hair while still in twists, as I would if my hair was loose, apply my leave-in and oil (my favourite products are detailed here), and when about 50% dry I undo each twist, detangle, remove the shed hairs and retwist. About twice a week I spritz and seal the ends.

I've been traveling a lot, so it's a protective style that's perfectly suited to my schedule.

This vintage post has some more information on when I last wore my hair in loose twists for an extended period of time.

Here's a great tutorial by Alicia James for anyone looking to try them.

I'm getting a bit bored of them though, so suggestions for my next protective style are most welcome! You can leave them in the comments below.

Until next time,

Nibi.

4 comments

  1. Hi Nibi. Great post! Do you have any suggestions on hair care regime for hair growth? I shaved my hair in February to a level 1 (lowest on razor) and in July 2015 it's only 1.5 inches! My hair type is 4b/4c and i moisturise using LOC method. I also sleep with a satin scarf; drink plenty of water and deep condition once a week. I use castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, cantu shea butter leave in conditioner and a wide tooth comb. I never have any hair coming away when i comb my hair; the comb is always clean. Please help. Will you also reply via my email mochellesnewz@gmail.com. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, apologies for the severely delayed response! You regimen actually sounds perfect. You can't do anything to increase the rate of growth, but you CAN preserve the growth that you DO get. Have you have a read of this post? It explains more: http://thekinkyapothecary.blogspot.com.ng/2012/04/kinky-hair-101-growth-length-retention.html. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. I was wondering if kinky attachment is good to be used on the hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinky is ok. Marley is softer and better (less damaging) for the hair: http://www.thekinkyapothecary.com/shop/style/janet-collection-noir-afro-marley-braid/

      Delete